Brunel University is a modern facility serving both local and international students. If you have been selected to attend, you can expect a vibrant and dynamic higher education environment designed to be stimulating for teaching and learning.
Rankings and awards:
- Brunel was ranked the 42nd highest ranked UK university (351st globally) in the 2011/12 QS rankings.
- Brunel was ranked 251-275 (shared ranking) by the 2011/12 THES world university rankings
- Brunel won The University won the Queen’s Anniversary Prize in 2011
Some important key figures about Brunel University London:
- History: Brunel University was established in 1966 after being awarded a royal charter. Over the years, it has grown and developed, culminating into three academic colleges and research institutes as of 2014, when it became Brunel University London. The school’s overall mission is to emulate the practical, entrepreneurial and creative ideals of its namesake, Isambard Kingdom Brunel, and combine them with excellence in academics.
- Achievements: Most recently, Brunel University achieved a ranking of 42 among UK universities for the academic year 2011/12. For the same period, it shared a ranking of 251 – 275 in the THES world university rankings. It also won the Queen’s Anniversary Prize in 2011.
- The facilities: A £300 million investment has resulted in a transformation of the campus buildings and infrastructure in recent years. Existing halls and residences were refurbished as a result; a new Isambard complex was also erected. Brunel University is made up of eight academic schools and covers 10 research institutes. All teaching, social and sporting facilities are located just minutes away from the 33 residence halls, which are all located on campus. Students who apply for Brunel university accommodation will find that the school provides several self-catering living arrangements, including 113 studio flats for couples who are cohabiting.
- Population: Brunel University has over 15,000 full time students, along with approximately 2,500 international students, all taking part in various undergraduate and postgraduate courses. However, students who are living on campus, amount to about 4,530 based on Brunel’s university accommodation capacity. If you decide to join the many students who live off campus, there are many housing choices available nearby. Depending on what you can afford, you will find reasonably priced London-area accommodation in the region of about £85 – £100 per week for a room. This does not include utilities.
- Courses on offer: The University is renowned for its engineering and design courses but also offers courses in fields such as business, sports sciences, computing and maths, education, human health, law and economics, among others. If you are an international student, you have access to a wide range of preparatory courses, which include foundation and premasters courses, a number of study skill programmes, along with English language studies that are administered before or while doing courses.
International students and Brunel University accommodation:
Brunel offers international students a wide range of preparatory courses, including foundation and pre-masters, pre-sessional and in-sessional English language studies, as well as study skill programmes. Though world renowned mainly for its engineering and design courses, Brunel Univeristy London also offers courses in additional fields, such as business, computing and maths, social sciences, sport sciences, law and economics, education, humanities, health and social care, visual and performing arts as well as the environment studies.
With regards to studying abroad in Brunel University London, the institution offers quite a melting pot, uniting people from across the UK and overseas. As a result, you can expect a vivid and interactive atmosphere when you arrive and during your stay. Be sure to plan ahead for your Brunel university accommodation to ensure your stay is both comfortable and that your rented flat or shared room is within easy reach from the university by public transportation.