London is one of the world’s most popular study abroad locations with over 100,000 international students coming from more than 200 different countries. The main higher education courses taught across the universities in London and the UK covers Business, Finance and Management, Arts, design, architecture, Science, IT, engineering, Law, Medicine and Veterinary. With about seven million people living in London, and over 300 languages commonly spoken, London is a capital for multicultural experiences and events, combined with internationally renowned academic institutions, London is a natural selection for those interested in Studying abroad in Europe.
In the links below you can see more details about the leading universities in London:
- University of Westminster
- University of West London
- University of the Arts London (UAL)
- University of Roehampton
- University of Greenwich (GRE)
- University of East London (UEL)
- University of East Anglia (UEA)
- University College London (UCL)
- Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
- Birkbeck, University of London
- Brunel University London
- Central School of Speech and Drama
- City University London
- Conservatoire for Dance and Drama
- Courtauld Institute of Art
- Coventry University London Campus
- GCU London
- Goldsmiths, University of London
- Guildhall School of Music and Drama
- Heythrop College, University of London
- Imperial College London
- Institute of Cancer Research
- Institute of Education (IOE)
- Kingston University London
- King’s College London
- London Business School (LBS)
- London Metropolitan University
- London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE)
- London School Of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
- London South Bank University (LSBU)
- Middlesex University UK
- Queen Mary University of London
- Ravensbourne College of Design and Communication
- Regent’s University London
- Rose Bruford College of Theatre and Performance
- Royal Academy Of Music
- Royal Holloway, University of London (RHUL)
- Royal Veterinary College (RVC)
- School of Advanced Study (SAS)
- St George’s University of London SGUL
- The School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS)
Higher Education in London:
With dozens of universities in London offering various degree programs for both local and international students, a variety of higher education courses are available. The academic year in the UK is based on three terms per year, which are slightly different in length and date across the various universities. These terms sessions intervals are in September/October, January and May.
Most undergraduate degree programs in the UK take three years to finish; however, another increasing in popularity option is a program of four years, which includes one year of actual internship in a work place. Some professional degrees like medicine, veterinary, law etc. have longer programs of about five years.
EU students will need to pay the same tuition fee as UK nationals. However, non EU students will have to pay higher amounts (depending on the selected university). The fees for international students in London can ranges on an avg. of between 3,100£ to 18,000£ and in some cases, even more.
Which studies are available in London:
As one of the most popular study abroad destinations for higher education, the universities in London provide highest quality qualifications to its alumni and over a century old experience to those looking to study In the UK. The universities in London cover all major study courses, and the most popular with international students in the UK are: Business, Finance & Management; Arts, Design & Architecture; Science, IT & Engineering; Humanities, Law & Media, Medicine, Healthcare & Veterinary.
The education system in the UK:
World known for being a hub for international students, the higher education system in London offers the highest quality teachings and research facilities. In addition to the standard higher education courses offered in other countries, the universities in the UK offer short, intensive courses programs which reduce substantially the living costs. The various qualifications which can be obtained by universities and colleges in London are:
- Bachelor’s degree (first degree) in Arts and Sciences – usually obtained within 3-4 academic years.
- Sandwich courses – offered by many universities, the sandwich course is a higher education program combining between theoretical studies and actual work experience.
- HND – the higher national diploma is often the basis for a degree course, this diploma focuses on the technical and scientific subjects.
- Vocational courses – these courses provide a graduated entry opportunity to enter the higher education system.
- Postgraduate – usually one or two years studies which build the basis for advanced degrees and awards such as Master’s & Doctorate levels.
The entry requirements for international students vary based on their selection of higher education program. However, In general, for most universities the student’s control in the English language will be a crucial point in accepting admissions of international students. It is imperative to assure a good enough level of understanding in English by taking one of the standardized tests such as: TOFEL, IELTS,UCLES.